Thoughts from our weekend seminar, God’s Blueprint for the Home.
Healthy relationships bring happiness and health to our lives. Here are basic ways to make your relationships healthy.
- Keep expectations realistic. No one can be everything we might want him or her to be.
- Talk with each other. It can’t be said enough: communication is essential in healthy relationships.
- Be flexible. Most of us try to keep people and situations just the way we like them to be.
- Take care of yourself. You probably hope those around you like you, so you may try to please them. Don’t forget to please yourself. Healthy relationships are mutual.
- Be dependable. If you make plans with someone, follow through.
- Fight fair. Most relationships have some conflict. It only means you disagree about something. It doesn’t have to mean you don’t like each other.
- Show your warmth. Studies tell us warmth is highly valued by most people in their relationships. Healthy relationships show emotional warmth!
- Keep your life balanced. Other people help make our lives satisfying, but they can’t create that satisfaction for us. Only you can fill your life. Don’t overload on activities.
- It’s a process. Sometimes it looks like everyone else is confident and connected. Actually, most people feel just like you feel, wondering how to fit in and have good relationships.
- Be yourself. It’s much easier and much more fun to be you than to pretend to be something or someone else. Healthy relationships are made of real people, not images.
Qualities for a Meaningful Marital Relationship
Wisdom from God’s Word – Genesis 2.1, 7, 18-24
- Realize your spouse is special. Vs.7: The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground…” Vs.22: “…the LORD God made a woman from the rib He had taken out of man…”
- Recognize God knows what is best. Vs.18: “And God said, It is not good for man to be alone, I will make him a helper suitable for him.”
- Receive your spouse as a gift from God. Vs.22: “…and He brought her to the man.”
- Remember your obligations. Vs.23: “And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, for she was taken out of man.”
- Resolve to live as God teaches. Vs.24: “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.”