From the Estes Church of Christ in Henderson, Tennessee
Our security and logistics are now coming into place so that we can purchase and distribute basic food items at a substantial level through the Sonlight Children’s Home and the Santo Church of Christ, as well as other congregations.
Food kits for families are being assembled in a combined effort from Roberta’s children, Santo church members, and mission teams. Each kit contains 5 lbs of rice, 2 lbs of beans, two cans of fish, 1 can of tomato paste, 1 bar of soap, a washcloth, salt, 16-oz. bottle of oil, matches and two pounds of spaghetti.
Funds that are being sent to Estes are used to pay for the bulk foods. Friends at Manna Global Ministries in the Dominican Republic are procuring and transporting it, and many busy hands are sorting and delivering the food at Port au Prince.
The food distribution takes place at several locations, which are a network of sister congregations and orphanages. Through these the food flows out to church members and their neighbors. At the present, our plan includes the following contacts and distribution goals:
- Thomaceau Orphanage. 3000 meals per month for neighboring community.
- Ganthier Church of Christ. 1000 meals per month for congregation of 200 people and neighboring community.
- Sonlight Children’s Home, Santo 11. 4000 meals per month for orphanage of 30 children, church of 100 members, and nutrition center for 130 children, 10 meals weekly, as well as food for neighboring community.
- Varreaux Church of Christ in Cite Soliel. 1000 meals per month for 150 member congregation and neighboring communities.
- Vilaj Solidarite Church of Christ. 1000 meals per month for 200 member congregation and neighboring communities.
- Christ Roi Church of Christ. 500 meals per month for 100 member congregation and neighboring communities.
- Sarthe Church of Christ. 500 meals per month for 100 member congregation and neighboring communities.
These goals amount to about 11,000 family-meal kits, which total over 150,000 pounds of food each month. Donations sent to Estes will continue to provide for these devastated families for the next several months. We have also been able to provide some basic medical care, and we are hoping to be able to partner with local church leaders when they are ready to rebuild.